At Northwest Arkansas SCORE, our volunteer mentors are our most valuable resource. We are starting a new feature on our blog that features a different volunteer and are pleased to begin the series with Kristin Ferguson.
Kristin has been a volunteer mentor with NWA SCORE for 13 years and is our current chapter vice chair.
“I’ve enjoyed learning about business operations outside my area of expertise,” she said. “I’ve also enjoyed working closely with clients to make them better business managers. Most entrepreneurs know their product or service but need to learn about how to best manage a business for profit and success.”
Her experience is largely in foodservice marketing with leadership positions at companies such as Green Giant, Pillsbury, Fred’s Frozen Foods and Tyson Foods. She also owned her own company, where she was a market strategy and management consultant to Fortune 500 companies. She is also the creator of Marketing ROI, a corporate management development program.
Kristin’s volunteer experience with NWA SCORE includes:
- Conducting several seminars on marketing, advertising, promotions, product development, market strategy and pricing
- Evaluating business plans for the University of Arkansas Reynolds Cup competition
- Co-creating the Northwest Arkansas Business Conference with the Rogers-Lowell Chamber
- Liaison with the Rogers-Lowell Chamber of Commerce
- Leading as Past Chapter Vice Chair, Past Chapter Chair, Current Chapter Vice Chair
- Assuming Chapter Administrator responsibilities for office maintenance, tracking of volunteer client activities.
We asked Kristin what she would tell a prospective volunteer mentor.
“There is no better reward than being told ‘I couldn’t have done this without you or you are so helpful,’” she said. “So many entrepreneurs have no one to assist them in starting/managing a business and as a SCORE mentor you know that you can help them and your community.”